CHURCH OF ST SILAS - Byker - List Entry

  • Description

    "Parish church. 1886 by R.J. Johnson; alterations 1899. Snecked sandstone with ashlar plinth, quoins and dressings; roof of plain tiles with stone gable copings. Nave and chancel with north aisle; north-west baptistry. Steps up to two-centred arched double door in moulded surround in north aisle westernmost bay....Battlemented octagonal belfry turret at north-west has canted baptistry adjoining. ...Gothic-style reredos of Caen stone was 1899 gift from vicar; painted panelled coved canopy above. Octagonal stone font on arcaded base surrounded by wood rail and kneeler. Glass in east and baptistry windows by Atkinson Bros of Newcastle. Stone low-relief panel in south wall commemorating Elizabeth Harbottle, founder of the Harbottle Charity, has angels flanking inscription of early C20...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1024914
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 147 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES