Capped shaft of Throckley Isabella Colliery

  • Description

    "Former site of a large colliery now reclaimed land part of the Tyne Riverside Country Park. Isabella Colliery, named after the daughter of mine owner William Stephenson, opened in 1867. In its heyday it produced 120,000 tons of coal a year and at the turn of the century employed 944 men. Coke made from the coal in a set of beehive coke ovens close to the site [[4908115]] was mainly used by Spencer's Steel Works in Newburn and the Solway Hematite Iron Company. The former industrial site was reclaimed in the 1970s and 80s financed by a Derelict Land Grant creating areas of grass and woodland for public recreation and a small part returned to grazing." Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2016.
  • Owner

    Andrew Curtis
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4909591
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 180 times
    Picture Taken: 2016-04-16
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES