Washington (2nd site)

  • Description

    ".....As noted for Washington’s first station, from 1 October 1850 a new, shorter route to Gateshead (and Newcastle) via Usworth was used between Washington and Pelaw, avoiding Brockley Whins; Washington (2nd) station, on the new line about 600yd north-east of its predecessor, probably opened on the same day. The second station was a little closer to Washington village, but it was some time before any appreciable residential development reached it. When it did, the new settlement took the name ‘Washington Station’, and it had a distinctly industrial character with brickworks, a wire rope works and a large chemicals plant adjacent to the railway. Washington Chemical Works was established in 1842 and by 1900 had become the world’s largest producer of magnesia....."
  • Owner

    Disused Stations
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/w/washington_second/index.shtml
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 127 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES