BOUNDARY STONE ON SITE OF THREE SHIRE STONES - List Entry

  • Description

    "Boundary stone. Dated 1816, when it was carved, but not put into position until c1860. Erected as a memorial to William Field (1770-1860) of Cartmel who served as Bridge-master and High Constable and commissioned the work originally. Single rough-dressed pillar, rectangular in plan and c. 6 ft high; W.F. 1816 appears on the north face and LANCASHIRE on the south, all in raised Roman capitals. Intended by Field to serve as a more conspicuous marker to show the location of the Three Shire Stones which marked the meeting of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire north of the sands. These stones are marked on Saxton's 1610 map of Westmorland but have since disappeared; they were each c. 1 ft high and were arranged in a triangle c. 1 ft apart, each occupying a different county...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1311547
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 157 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES