Description"The Merchant Navy Memorial was unveiled by Countess Mountbatten of Burma on 19th September 1990 in memory of the thousands of merchant seamen who sailed from this port and lost their lives in World War II. The 'former' Custom House was built in 1863-1864 and is an imposing public building in the Renaissance style. This was originally the Customs House built just before South Shields was declared a separate customs port in 1865. It is a Grade II listed building. https://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101232273-the-former-mercantile-marine-offices-beacon-and-bents-ward#.WylIQjGWw5s The 'former' River Police Offices in the background is also an impressive building and was built in 1886. It is a Grade II listed building. https://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101232160-river-tyne-river-police-offices-beacon-and-bents-ward#.WylIuzGWw5s" Photo by G Laird, 2018.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5813164
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 4 months, 3 weeks ago
Viewed: 79 times
Picture Taken: 2018-06-18