Dr Charles Mitchell 1820~1895

  • Description

    Image from: Aberdeen’s Links With Tyneside Shipbuilding, The Doric Columns. (copyright of image expired as photographer died over 70 years ago). "....Mitchell’s own yard was set up in the 1852, in Low Walker. He had later bought a 2nd 6.5 acre yard in Wallsend in 1873, which failed financially and he handed this over to brother-in-law Charles Swan, who set up Swan Hunter. Old maps of the River Tyne showed that there were many shipyards located in the Walker Area but this particular one had been Mitchell’s Low Walker Yard and was next to the Coutts Yard. The shipyard was founded by Charles Mitchell. He was born in Aberdeen on 20th May, 1820 and served his apprenticeship with Simpson & Company, iron founders of Aberdeen, before moving to Newcastle in September, 1842 to work for John H. S. Coutts,..."
  • Owner

    The Doric Columns
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.mcjazz.f2s.com/TynesideLink.htm
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 month, 2 weeks ago
    Viewed: 38 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES