Chatton, Holy Cross

  • Description

    Holy Cross Church was constructed between 1763 and 1770 to replace a ruined C13 church on the same site. In 1846 Anthony Salvin, then architect to the Duke of Northumberland at Alnwick Castle, added a north aisle. The stained glass of the east window and south chancel was inserted in 1851 by the well-respected and successful regional stained glass artist William Wailes. In 1895, the reredos by Arthur Moore was presented by the Culley family. In 1897, the Diamond Jubilee year of Queen Victoria, the south nave windows were replaced, a saddleback roof was added to the tower, a small window in the tower was re-glazed, a bell was added to the north exterior of the tower and part of the north aisle was enclosed to form a baptistery. Subsequent additions have included a vestry to the north of the tower, early to mid C20 riddel posts to the High Altar and a clock to the tower in 1901. The organ by G. M Holditch of London (1816-96) installed in Salvin's 1846 north aisle, is believed to have come from an Oxford University College." rel="noreferrer nofollow">
  • Owner

    Pete Reed
  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution-NonCommercial License
  • Further information

    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Peter Smith
    Last modified: 1 year, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 182 times
    Picture Taken: 2022-01-01T12:26:19
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.