CHURCH OF ST OSWALD - Newton under Roseberry - List Entry

  • Description

    "Church, C12, on earlier foundation (north side), with chancel of 1857, west tower of 1901 by Temple Moore and mid/late C17 porch. Dressed sandstone, except for tower of sandstone ashlar; Westmorland slate roofs. Blocked round-headed doorway in north wall of nave. Other openings in nave and chancel inserted or altered mid C19 to early C20. Gabled porch with Columbus cross finial, and medieval grave cover used as lintel...C12 chancel arch, either side of which are squints (10cm square). Traces of medieval fresco on south wall of nave. Medieval cross-head used as lintel above piscina of c1900. Norman circular drum-shaped font..."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1139807
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 month ago
    Viewed: 36 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES