CHRIST CHURCH - Coatham

  • Description

    "Church, 1854 by Coe and Godwin, from the benefaction of Mrs. Teresa Newcomen. Late C19 organ chamber. Squared random sandstone rubble with Bath stone dressings. Welsh slate roofs. West tower, clerestoried and aisled nave with south porch, chancel with south organ chamber and north vestry. Decorated style with reticulated tracery. 4-stage tower has double-chamfered plinth, angle buttresses with offsets, vice at south-west angle and stone broach spire with ornamented metal finial..... the church is associated with the Christ Church Sisterhood, the first Anglican religious community in the north, who from 1854 provided a hospital and medical services for the people of Middlesbrough and sent trained workers to found or help medical services in other industrial areas. The church also has value as a local landmark...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1159776
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 8 months, 1 week ago
    Viewed: 74 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES