THE WATCH HOUSE - Whitehaven - List Entry

  • Description

    Pier Master's Watch House and store, built 1764, onto quay wall and steps. For Whitehaven Harbour Trustees. Original Watch House: built of large ashlar blocks, similar to the Watch Tower (q.v.), of buff sandstone. Later bay in coursed squared rubble of buff/red sandstone. Hipped roof is of king post trusses and through purlin construction.....The older part was built to provide safe storage for the Pier Master's equipment and stores eg. hawsers, capstan bars and other materials with a room 'for the resort of the Pier Master and the Harbour Boatman' (p42, B.S-H.). There is a suggestion that part of the Watch House may have been used as a public house (p.22.DH) and the later extension may have provided a workshop with a chamber above for the Pier Master's personal use. The Watch House has important group value with the Watch Tower and the Old Quay and is a significant component of the historic harbour of Whitehaven...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1390499
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Edmund Anon
    Last modified: 4 months, 1 week ago
    Viewed: 128 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES