Clara Vale War Memorial

  • Description

    "The memorial stands in a prominent position at the east side of the Co-operative Stores within the triangle of the two roads entering the village of Clara Vale from the south. It is a square block of Aberdeen granite and stands ten feet high, and surmounted by a bowl and urn. It bears the fifty six names of the men who were employed at the Colliery who fell in the Great War. The site was given as a gift from the Stella Coal Company who also agreed to erect a surrounding wall and paling. The site was regarded as being in an ideal position, with the wood in the background and westbound travellers on the railway being given an unrestricted view of the memorial. The unveiling and dedication of the memorial took place on the afternoon of Saturday, 22nd of October 1921. Councillor Robert Wren, Chairman of the Ryton Council, presided...."
  • Owner

    Ryton and District War Memorials Project
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.rytonwarmemorials.org.uk/sub_memorial_section.php?page=clara_vale_war_memorial
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 month, 1 week ago
    Viewed: 19 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES