Description"The memorial stands in a prominent position at the east side of the [former] Co-operative Stores, visible on the right, within the triangle of roads where Stannerford Road enters the village from the south []. Edington Cottages are behind with the Methodist Chapel and Hall visible in the distance. The memorial is a square block of Aberdeen granite, standing ten feet high, surmounted by a bowl and urn. One face is inscribed with fifty six names of former colliery employees who fell in the Great War. The site was given as a gift from the Stella Coal Company who also agreed to erect the surrounding wall and railings. It was unveiled on Saturday, 22nd of October 1921. The site was regarded as being in an ideal position, with the wood in the background (Bog Wood) and westbound travellers on the railway being given an unrestricted view of the memorial. Following the end of the 1939-45 conflict, two additional names of men from the village were added to the memorial. The fewer names reflect the fact that mining was a reserved occupation, essential to the national war effort, during this conflict. Information from Ryton & District War Memorials Project: http://www.rytonwarmemorials.org.uk/sub_memorial_section.php?page=clara_vale_war_memorial" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2010.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2213658
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 1 month, 1 week ago
Viewed: 20 times
Picture Taken: 2010-12-30