Windermere and Bowness

  • Description

    "Resort towns in Windermere parish, Kendal Ward, Westmorland. Windermere and Bowness became separate UDs 1894, merging to become Windermere UD 1905. This entry covers former townships of Applethwaite and Undermillbeck, out of which UDs were carved..... Applethwaite township covered 9,122 acres [3,692 ha], of which c.3,000 acres [c.1,200 ha] comprised lake bed of Windermere; Undermillbeck township covered 4,183 acres [1,693 ha] and included chapelry of Winster (in Kendal parish). Most of Applethwaite became Windermere UD (4,345 acres [1,758 ha]) 1894; Bowness-on-Windermere UD (983 acres [398 ha]) was carved out of Undermillbeck; remaining parts of Undermillbeck CP were absorbed into Bowness and Crook CPs 1935. Common land in Undermillbeck (2,000 acres [810 ha]) enclosed 1822; Applethwaite commons enclosed 1842....."
  • Owner

    Cumbria County History Trust
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.cumbriacountyhistory.org.uk/township/windermere-and-bowness
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 month, 3 weeks ago
    Viewed: 29 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES