Eskdale and Wasdale

  • Description

    "Township in St Bees parish, Allerdale above Derwent ward, Cumberland. In 1934 Wasdale Head was transferred to Nether Wasdale CP and remainder of township absorbed Birker and Austhwaite to create Eskdale CP....predominantly hill farming; small fair called ‘Dog-skin fair’ held on St Catherine’s day (25 November) in later 17th century. Industries in 19th century included bobbin mill at Longrigg in Miterdale; carding mill at Gill Bank; granite quarrying; iron mining. Iron mine at Nab Gill, opened 1871, resulted in construction of Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway (1873-5). Tourism developed from later 19th century: Stanley Ghyll built as hotel 1894; youth hostel built 1937; Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway (‘the Ratty’) became tourist honeypot from mid-20th century. Wasdale Head was centre for rock-climbing from later 19th century...."
  • Owner

    Cumbria County History Trust
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.cumbriacountyhistory.org.uk/township/eskdale-and-wasdale
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 9 months, 1 week ago
    Viewed: 100 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES