History of Our School

  • Description

    "......Opened in 1910 to accommodate the ever-increasing population of New Shildon the “Shildon and East Thickley New Shildon Council Schools” (now Timothy Hackworth Primary School) were opened. Many of the children had not previously attended a regular school and the opening of the Council Schools provided places for 1,100 children on the one site. The building was designed by Mr R Holt of Liverpool and the total cost to build the schools was £21,467 which included the land, buildings, furnishings and equipment. The whole of the site, built on Shildon Road (now Byerley Road) covered an area of 9,000 square yards incorporating playgrounds, playing fields and the buildings. The opening ceremony was performed by Councillor M Watson JP on Saturday 12 February 1910 at 3.30pm which was followed by a free afternoon tea for invited guests. The school opened to children on 14 February 1910, it’s first headteacher was Ethel M Robinson......"
  • Owner

    Timothy Hackworth Primary School
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.timothyhackworthschool.co.uk/community/history-of-our-school/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 8 months, 2 weeks ago
    Viewed: 92 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES