Kirkby Stephen

  • Description

    "Market town in Kirkby Stephen parish, East Ward, Westmorland....Market had probably grown up around parish church by 12th or 13th century: market place located at entrance to churchyard (divided from it by The Cloisters, serving as market house and piazza, built 1810). Charter granting market on Fridays and fairs in April and October granted 1351, almost certainly ratifying existing market. New market charter obtained 1606, moving market to Mondays with fairs at Whitsuntide and in October....."
  • Owner

    Cumbria County History Trust
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.cumbriacountyhistory.org.uk/township/kirkby-stephen
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Edmund Anon
    Last modified: 2 years, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 278 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES