Description"Ulverston’s war memorial stands at the top of Market Street. It is a grade II listed structure (https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1270224 Historic England List Entry Number: 1270224) and, in common with the vast majority of such memorials, was erected after the end of the First World War being unveiled in 1921. The memorial is made of Sandstone Ashlar from Birchover quarries in Derbyshire. It is a square plan on a stepped base with thin diagonal buttresses. There are inscribed bronze plaques on each face and the cross head is carried on a column of clustered shafts with a foliated capital. Records from the 1970s do indicate that there was some vandalism during this time, which may account for the disappearance of the original finials and crockets. The memorial was restored in 2014 by Ulverston Town Council with the aid of a grant from the War Memorials Trust http://www.warmemorials.org/ to mark the centenary of the commencement of the First World War. (More information at http://www.ulverstoncouncil.org.uk/services/war-memorial Ulverston Town Council)" Photo by David Dixon, 2020.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6584168
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 2 years, 8 months ago
Viewed: 260 times
Picture Taken: 2020-08-23