CHURCH OF ST MARY - Cumrew - List Entry

  • Description

    "Church. Dated 1890 over entrance, on medieval site, by George Dale Oliver. Rock faced red sandstone with ashlar dressings and angle buttresses; graduated green slate roof with coped gables and decorative ridge tiles. 3-storey north- west tower/porch; 3-bay nave; single-bay chancel with north vestry. Square tower has plank doors with trefoil arch in pointed moulded recess....external wall plaque from the original church, to members of the Gill family 1767-1871. Interior has open timber roof to nave and chancel. Furnishings and fittings all early C20. Stained glass in east and 3 other windows is of 1890 and unsigned. Effigy grave slab beside pulpit, thought to be Jeanne, wife of William Dacre, early C14. Pulpit and font are inscribed and dated 1890. Pre-reformation inscribed bell; one of 1750 and other bell is dated 1901 by inscribed brass plaque on church wall...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1087579
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Edmund Anon
    Last modified: 2 weeks ago
    Viewed: 14 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES