Tyne and Wear HER(11393): Newcastle, Elswick Lane, Summer Hill House

  • Description

    "By 1723 Summer Hill House, the area's first major building, was built on the hill near Elswick Lane for Mr Joseph Barber, an Irish bookseller who named it after his mansion in County Meath where he grew up. He worked at Amen Corner. There were nurseries on the slope below, which became the 'square' around which housing would later be built. On 6 March 1773 the house was destroyed by fire. Arson was suspected.... Hadwin Bragg, a Quaker, rebuilt Summer Hill as a double-bow fronted house with large grounds....."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://twsitelines.info/SMR/11393
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 323 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES