Houghton North Farm

  • Description

    "The farm house was built in 1802 and the two adjacent farm workers' cottages in 1815. That nearest cottage has the unusual name 'Merci Beaucoup' inscribed in stone above the door. Houghton School House is visible further down the road. Sir James Knott took the tenancy of 'Merci Beaucoup' cottage, for the use of wives and mothers visiting wounded soldiers, convalescing at Holyn Hall. Sir James ran a competition to name the cottage, the winner receiving a prize of £1.00. The winning name was inscribed on a lintel above the door [[2294976]] http://heddonhistory.weebly.com/sir-james-knott.html" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2009.
  • Owner

    Andrew Curtis
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1121897
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 278 times
    Picture Taken: 2009-01-16
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES