Description"Lynemouth takes its name from being situated on the estuary of the River Lyne - or Line as it was formally known. It was, until 1926, no more than a farm and cottage situated on the south side of the river on 300 acres of land. The township was held in 1240 by John, the son of Robert Rue, and changed hands on many occasions until it became the property of the Atkinson family in 1743 by the marriage of the co-heir to the estate, Jane Watson, to Henry Atkinson of Newcastle. The village, which was in the parish of Woodhorn, had only four houses and 22 people in 1921. By 1926, with the opening of the colliery by the Ashington Coal Company, Lynemouth had expanded to a township of over 500 houses, several shops, and a population of 2,000....."
LicenseWhat does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
Further informationLink: https://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/Lynemouth.htm
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 2 years, 12 months ago
Viewed: 331 times
Picture Taken: Unknown