Demolition of old 'Burn Closes Bridge' in Wallsend 2008

  • Description

    "Demolition of Burn Closes Bridge (also known as the Burn Bridge) on Peter's Road in Wallsend in 2008. The old bridge, built in 1912, was constructed in the Hennebique style. This very early form of reinforced concrete was unusual among British Road bridges, leading the structure being 'listed'. However, the Hennebique style was not ideally suited to bridge construction and problems with the bridge developed early. By 2005, the bridge was feared too weak to safely carry road traffic and was shut by North Tyneside Council following a regular safety inspection. Green netting was also installed to protect the areas below (a public space) from falling masonry. Prior to demolition, the bridge had to be de-listed. The bridge was demolished in 2008 and replaced by a new bridge at the same location in 2009." Photo by Andrew Tryon, 2008.
  • Owner

    Andrew Tryon
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4110762
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 6 months ago
    Viewed: 148 times
    Picture Taken: 2008-06-17
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES