BISHOP MIDDLEHAM CASTLE

  • Description

    "....The Castle of Middleham, a strong, well guarded manor house, was a principal residence of the Bishops of Durham from the Conquest till the end of the 14th century ...Bishop Pudsey may have had a house thereabout 1183 (Boldon Book (Surtees Soc) 12 51). Bishop Philip De Poitou (1197-1208) certainly stayed at Middleham (Feod Prior Dunelm 250 301). Bishop Louis Beaumont built a kitchen and began a new hall and chapel (Hist Dunelm Script Tres (Surtees Soc) (119)). The Manor house or site of the manor was sold in 1649 (Close 1649 Pt 12 No 15). The house was probably then in ruins. There was a fishpond, mentioned in 1313...."
  • Owner

    Gatehouse Gazetter
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.gatehouse-gazetteer.info/English%20sites/981.html
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 73 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES