The Square, Burton-in-Kendal

  • Description

    "The Market Cross was erected in the 18C. Burton-in-Kendal was granted a corn market by Charles II in 1661, but it did not become important. The cross has a tapering column of dressed limestone on a chamfered base set on three octagonal steps. The south-west face of the second step has indentations said to be remains of leg-irons used as stocks. Behind is a terrace of four early 19C houses, one of which was the post office. Each pair of houses is three windows wide, with two doors under a central pediment. The Royal Hotel was built in the late 18C as a coaching inn, as Burton was a staging post. There is a nice series of Venetian windows facing The Square." Photo by Humphrey Bolton, 2006.
  • Owner

    Humphrey Bolton
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/171332
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 89 times
    Picture Taken: 2006-05-05
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES