Chevington and Broomhill War Memorial

  • Description

    "....The tall memorial stands in the north-east corner of the churchyard of St John’s Church. Of Heworth stone, it comprises a Latin cross with a moulded foot rising from the top of a tapering cross shaft. The broad foot of the cross shaft, standing on an octagonal pedestal, is ornamented on four sides with wreaths carved in low relief. The pedestal is on top of a plinth, square on plan, which stands on a stepped base. Four shield-shaped marble plaques are mounted on opposing faces of the pedestal below a string of laurel leaves, of which three bear the inscriptions DULCE ET/ DECORUM EST/ PRO PATRIA MORI. The principal dedicatory inscription, on a square marble plaque mounted on the front face of the plinth, reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF/ CHEVINGTON/ AND/ BROOMHILL DISTRICT/ WHO FELL IN/ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918....."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1435538
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 week, 4 days ago
    Viewed: 13 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES