Muggleswick Monastic Grange

  • Description

    "The medieval building at Muggleswick, has been variously termed a monastery, a grange, a hunting lodge and 'the prior's camera'. The Prior of Durham is recorded as holding 'Muglyngwyc' in 1183, and there is a 1229 mention of a 'domum magnum' which included a 'camera'. In 1259 Prior Hugh de Derlington was granted permission to empark woodland around his 'manerium' ; he also built (or rebuilt) a 'camera'. A 1464 inventory refers to a hall, chapel, grane and 'deira' (dairy?) at Muggleswick. At the end of the 15th century there were considerable controversies over property rights between the Prior and Convent, and neighbouring landowners. Visible remains include..."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://keystothepast.info/search-records/results-of-search/results-of-search-2/site-details/?PRN=D6420
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 285 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES