CHURCH OF ST ANDREW - Haughton-le-Skerne - List Entry

  • Description

    "Circa 1100, built on site of earlier Saxon church. West tower of 2 stages, aisleless nave and chancel. Restored and largely refenestrated in C15. Transepts, vestry and south porch added 1795. Roughly coursed rubble with freestone quoins. Norman windows remain in chancel south wall and the west and south doorways are Norman with single - nook shafts, simple cushion capitals and heavy impost blocks. Interior has pews, pulpit and lectern dated 1662 but still largely Jacobean in style; and 6 Warder's stalls, with more Gothic decoration, all representing the earlier style of Bishop Cosin's patronage...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1160229
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Pat Thomson
    Last modified: 4 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 334 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES