Rockcliffe Parish

  • Description

    "Ancient parish in Cumberland ward, Cumberland, embracing townships of Rockcliffe Castletown and Rockcliffe Churchtown, latter including Rockcliffe village and settlements of Harker and Todhills....manor of Rockcliffe held under barony of Burgh by Rockcliffe (‘Routheclive’) family until sold to Ralph de Bray 1205, whose descendants conveyed it to John le Franceis 1248-9; after complex descent, sold to Dacre family in late 14th century, reuniting it with barony of Burgh (q.v.), with which it descended. Castle and demesnes sold 1682 to Rev. Charles Usher...."
  • Owner

    Cumbria County History Trust
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.cumbriacountyhistory.org.uk/township/rockcliffe
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 325 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES