Cummersdale Township

Related Pages



  • Description

    "Township in Carlisle St Mary’s parish, Cumberland ward, Cumberland....part of bishop of Carlisle’s barony of Dalston (q.v.). Economy: largely agricultural until 19th century; Dalston Estate Small Holdings (part of Land Resettlement Scheme) from 1920s. Clay pits for brick-making on former common. Cotton dyeing and bleach works at Holme Head works, part of Ferguson brothers’ factories, opened 1824; closed 1991. Cluster of water-powered mills on River Caldew near High Cummersdale: corn mill recorded from 1268...."
  • Owner

    Cumbria County History Trust
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 155 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.