Interior of Grainger Market, about 1835 by John Wilson Carmichael and John Dobson - Laing Art Gallery, Newcastle upon Tyne.
DescriptionThe Grainger Market in Newcastle opened in 1835 and was designed by the local architect John Dobson. This view, drawn by the architect himself, shows the original arrangement of butcher’s shops flanking an open space where vegetables were sold. The figures of Newcastle housewives and stallholders, together with the colour, were added by Dobson’s friend Carmichael. The market was an early and major part of the redevelopment of central Newcastle by the businessman Richard Grainger.
LicenseWhat does this mean? All Rights Reserved (Seek permission to reuse)
Further informationLink: https://www.flickr.com/photos/83226190@N00/16476617333/
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 3 years, 8 months ago
Viewed: 431 times
Picture Taken: 2015-03-28T13:51:56