Description"A single carriageway road bridge, controlled by traffic lights at each end. The bridge was built in 1893 with a steel lattice-girder structure of four spans held on wrought-iron, concrete-filled cylinders, having very deep foundations of over 70 feet below high water. It was originally a toll bridge, with a toll house at the north east end, but bought by Northumberland and freed from tolls in 1947. The bridge underwent major renovation in 2007 at a cost of about £600,000 when it was closed to motor traffic for several months [] http://www.bridgesonthetyne.co.uk/newburn.html" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2003.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1727002
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 1 year, 1 month ago
Viewed: 70 times
Picture Taken: 2003-09-17