Middlesbrough Dock, Middlehaven

  • Description

    Originally designed by renowned Engineer William Cubitt and opened in 1842, the dock was built for the Stockton to Darlington railway as a port for coal. Middlesbrough owes its substantial growth to the dock, bringing in coal and transporting steel. The site was closed in 1979, then in the 1980’s the Teesside Development Corporation planned its regeneration. The site has undergone immense change in recent years with the new Middlesbrough College, offices and the ‘Temenos’ art installation. Some of the original furniture has been retained, such as bollards and capstans. The dock has group value with the nearby listed Dock Clock Tower. The association with William Cubitt means that Middlesbrough Dock can be associated with many other significant docks such as Ellesmere Port. For more information on the Local List please click here - http://www.middlesbrough.gov.uk/ccm/navigation/planning-services/conservation/local-list/" rel="noreferrer nofollow">www.middlesbrough.gov.uk/ccm/navigation/planning-services...
  • Owner

    Middlesbrough Council
  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? All Rights Reserved (Seek permission to reuse)
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/51359514@N02/5552340255/
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years ago
    Viewed: 402 times
    Picture Taken: 2011-03-23T11:41:48
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.