Description"Built in 1870, the Old Town Hall originally provided offices for the Town Clerk, Surveyor, Rate Collector and Nuisance Inspector, along with a police station, Magistrates and County Courts, cells, fire engine house, drill yard and a large public hall and refreshment rooms. The building has had a wide variety of uses since the new Civic Centre opened in 1987, but was recently reoccupied by Gateshead Council as part of a £1.2m plan to create a ‘cultural hub’ for arts and other cultural projects in Gateshead. After decades of neglect, the building exterior has been transformed to its former glory and the Performance Hall and stage area has now been converted back from office space to provide a new venue for public performances. The building also incorporates a licensed cafe http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/tyne/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8207000/8207928.stm The gothic-style cast iron clock tower in front of the hall was designed by Gillott and Johnson of Croydon. The clock is painted black and gold and is an exact facsimile of one at Victoria Station, London []. It is inscribed "Presented to the Borough of Gateshead by Walter Willson, Mayor 1892." http://www.northumbria.info/Pages/gheadclk.html" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2009.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1571578
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 11 months ago
Viewed: 46 times
Picture Taken: 2009-11-06