CHURCH OF HOLY CROSS - Ryton - List Entry

  • Description

    "...Parish church. C13 restored 1877-1886. Rainwater heads dated 1826. Coursed squared sandstone with plinth and ashlar dressings; roof of graduated Lakeland slate with flat stone gable copings; lead roof to broach spire. Aisled west tower and nave; south porch; chancel with north vestry. Tower: tall lancet flanked by tall buttresses; lancets and shouldered belfry openings in upper stages....C13 Stanhope marble effigy of priest in chancel. 2 hatchments in south aisle. C14 Flemish glass re-used in west window, east bay of chancel, and south aisle, all restored by W. Wailes c.1848. East window by Kempe 1884; east window in south aisle 1889 by H. Holliday. 1886 spiral stair to tower of slender wooden ogee-arched construction....."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1025160
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 month, 1 week ago
    Viewed: 17 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES