Addison Colliery

  • Description

    "...Addison Colliery was sunk in 1864 and rows of colliery houses were constructed to accommodate the miners and their families. Addison was a thriving community but after the closure of the pit in the 1950s the village declined. Shortly afterwards Addison was declared a Category D village and the houses and colliery were demolished. The area has now reverted to woodland and relatively little trace of the village can be seen. This area has probably been mined since Roman times...."
  • Owner

    GatesheadHistory.com
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.gatesheadhistory.com/addison-colliery.html
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 week ago
    Viewed: 13 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES