Town Hall - Loftus

  • Description

    ".....Loftus Town Hall is a handsome Gothic structure situated at the junction of Loftus High Street and Water Lane, adjacent to St Leonards Church and close to Loftus Market Place. There is limited parking available nearby in Loftus Market Place and at the public Car Park at South View(off North Road). Loftus Town Hall was built by the Earl of Zetland, erected by Mr Thomas Dickenson of Saltburn, and was first opened in 1879 .... The Town Hall clock has faces North, East and West, but no face to the South as the residents of South Loftus were reluctant to contribute to the cost. The Town Hall remained in the ownership of the Zetland family until 1948, when it was purchased by the former Loftus Urban District Council for £2000....."
  • Owner

    Loftus Town Council
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.loftustc.co.uk/loftus-town-hall
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 355 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES