St Mary the Virgin

  • Description

    When the abbey was rebuilt by the Normans, the site of the original priory church was redeveloped as the parish church. Remains of the Saxon church exist as the chancel wall and arch. A Norman apse (subsequently replaced in the 13th century) led eastwards from the chancel. The nave was extended in the 12th century with a northern arcade, and in the following century with a southern arcade. After the Reformation the church slipped into disrepair until restoration of 1860.
  • Owner

    Reading Tom
  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution License
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/16801915@N06/48396283496/
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 months, 2 weeks ago
    Viewed: 22 times
    Picture Taken: 2019-07-17T08:09:47
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES