Description"Semi detached stone houses built in 1878 by William Wilson, architect, builder and funerary sculptor. They are just over the wall from the War Memorial and the old Spa Well in Spittal. This imposing terrace is very ornate and individual and is a fine example of the late Victorian love of decoration and ostentation, executed to a very high standard and well preserved. It would have served as an excellent advertisement for Wilson’s skills. He also built another pair of houses farther up the Main Street. The carvings feature animal heads, figures of men and birds. One carved head is perhaps meant to be a self portrait of Wilson himself !" Photo by Jennifer Petrie, 2018.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5753374
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 1 year, 10 months ago
Viewed: 210 times
Picture Taken: 2018-04-24