Staveley – St Margaret’s Church Tower

  • Description

    "...In 1338 the lord of the manor of staveley, Sir William Thweng, agreed to build a chapel in honour of St Margaret. St Margaret’s Church, of which only the tower now remains, was founded in 1388. There is one original three light window remaining, along with two tiny windows with moulded arches that appear to be Anglo-Saxon. The bell openings are no earlier than 17th century....St James’ church took its place in 1864...."
  • Owner

    Visit Cumbria
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.visitcumbria.com/churches/staveley-st-margarets-church-tower/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 525 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES