Stainton and Thornton Parish Council

  • Description

    Official Website of the Parish Council. Includes some information on history: "Stainton is one of the few areas within the boundaries of modern-day Middlesbrough to have been named in the Domesday Book of 1086. It has been a settlement since pre-Saxon times while its name reveals it to have been an area of old Norse (Viking) influence with street names such as Meldyke and Kelgate. The first vicar of Stainton was appointed in 1247. The present Church of St.Peter and St.Paul is Grade 2* listed and was built on a 12th century foundation but has been altered and added to over the years to suit the fashion and requirements of the times. The church registers are continuous from 1551...."
  • Owner

    Stainton and Thornton Parish Council
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.staintonandthorntonparishcouncil.org.uk/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 10 months ago
    Viewed: 49 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES