St. Peter's Church, Camerton

  • Description

    "St. Peter's is situated on a bend of the River Derwent 0.5 miles south of the village of Camerton. There has been a church on this site since the 11th century but it was rebuilt in 1694 and 1796. The church contains a stone tomb and effigy dated 1510 of Sir Thomas Curwen, "Black Tom of the North", who is buried at Shap Abbey. The churchyard was severely damaged by the flood of November 2009 which also destroyed a bridge over an old railway cutting which carried the route to the church. The church had to be closed until the cutting was filled in about 19 months later." Photo by Ed Messenger, 2000.
  • Owner

    Ed Messenger
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5959346
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 358 times
    Picture Taken: 2000-12-29
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES