Kirkandrews-Upon-Esk – St Andrew’s Church

  • Description

    "The VisitCumbria website (http://www.visitcumbria.com/car/kirkandrews-upon-esk-st-andrews-church/ ) provides the following information: 'The Church of St Andrew is the estate church for Netherby Hall, on the other side of the River Esk. It was built in 1776 in red sandstone and is of an unusual rectangular design. The west tower houses a large clock, and this is topped by an open rotunda of columns and a stone cap. The screen and reredos, Italian in style in green and gold, and rather Comperish, is by Temple Moore. There are four stained glass windows in the nave, in the 15th Century Rhenish style, probably suggested by Temple Moore who had at that time been involved in the Church re-decoration in 1893. They are probably by Shrigley and Hunt, and depict the Crucufixion, the Adoration of the Magi, the Nativity and Christ and Mary Magdalene in the Garden. The other window in the Church is a view of the Church from the opposite bank of the River Esk. The sundial clock on St Andrew’s church is dedicated to the safe return of two Graham brothers from World War 1. "After darkness light. For our two dear sons FFG & RPG who lived to come home from the Great War. Thanks be to God alone.”'" Photo by James T M Towill, 2014.
  • Owner

    James T M Towill
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4032800
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 weeks ago
    Viewed: 12 times
    Picture Taken: 2014-06-15
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES