St Thomas of Canterbury Church, Wolsingham

  • Description

    "The Roman Catholic church was re-established in Wolsingham in 1849 under the ministry of Father Thomas Wilkinson. The church was built in 1853 and dedicated to St Thomas of Canterbury by the Bishop of Hexham. People attended from all over the dale and the numbers grew when the Wolsingham steelworks opened. It remains the only Catholic Church in Weardale. A school was built nearby and in 1892 St Anne's Convent and girls boarding school was established [[2585471]]" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2011.
  • Owner

    Andrew Curtis
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2585812
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 9 months ago
    Viewed: 249 times
    Picture Taken: 2011-09-02
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES