Bradley Hall fortified house and underground passages, moated site, pillow mound and fishponds

  • Description

    ".....The monument includes the remains of a moated site, the ruins and remains of a fortified house, a pillow mound and a series of fishponds of medieval date, situated on the left bank of the Bradley Burn, a tributary of the River Wear. The fortified house is a Listed Building Grade II. In 1183 the estate was mentioned in the Bolden Book, when it was held by the Bradley family. In Bishop Hatfield's 14th century survey it was held by Roger Eure of Witton. The son of the latter was granted licence to crenellate the house in 1431 by Bishop Langley....."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1019821
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 9 months ago
    Viewed: 322 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES