Description"The dedication recalls that St Cuthbert's remains were brought to Great Salkeld from Lindisfarne in 880, to safeguard them from Norse raids, and it is likely that a church was built to house them. The present building dates from Norman times, as the small round-headed windows of the nave indicate, the chancel with its rectangular windows being rebuilt later and restored in 1866. A pele tower (one of three such in Cumbria) was added at the west end around 1380 for defence against the Scots. See also []." Photo by Tiger, 2014.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4615520
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Viewed: 34 times
Picture Taken: 2014-08-26