Local History: Barforth

  • Description

    "The parish of Barforth stands in Teesdale, just on the south bank of the river. It is about half way between Darlington and Barnard's Castle. The earliest evidence for settlement in the parish probably dates to the Iron Age. The remains of at least two enclosures surrounded by slight earth banks can still be seen in the area..... The village was also mentioned in the Domesday Book, and the village is also mentioned in historic records dating to between 1301 and 1334. However, by 1517 the population was declining, and there is now no village here. The earthworks. The of the medieval village are however still visible. The earth enclosures and platforms show the probable sites of the houses. The old manor house is still used as a farmhouse. It was probably built in the 15th or 16th century...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=D6642
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 136 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES