Cumdivock War Memorial - List Entry

  • Description

    "....Cumdivock War Memorial was situated within the churchyard. The memorial commemorates four local servicemen who fell in the First World War and three men who fell in the Second World War. The memorial was a gift from the Salkeld family who lived at Holm Hill in the parish. It was unveiled on the 24 October 1919 by Major Carleton Salkeld and dedicated by the Reverend G L Hall. In approximately 1960 the wooden cross at the top of the oak shaft broke off and was replaced by a simple copper cross, manufactured by James Bendall of Carlisle. On the 11 November 1995 the names of those who died in the Second World War were added and dedicated...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 234 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.