Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady Queen of Martyrs and attached presbytery

  • Description

    "....The mission in Willington was founded as early as 1651 and endowed by Sir George Smythe and his son; it was served by a secular priest at a farmstead at Newhouse near the present church, but moved to the church of St Michael at Esh Laude in 1798. The mission was revived due to the expanding mining community, and a church and adjoining presbytery were constructed on the site in 1871 to the designs of London architect T J Willson on land donated by Sir Fredrick Smythe. In 1881 this church was damaged by fire and was rebuilt to designs of Catholic architect William de Normanville (also Durham City Engineer), with a new nave and tower but retaining the original chancel with some window modifications. After Normanville left his post in 1882, the church was completed by William Fox (Durham City Architect)...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1431021
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 231 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES