High cross shaft in St John's churchyard - Hall Waberthwaite - List Entry

  • Description

    "The monument includes a late ninth/early-tenth century Anglo-Scandinavian high cross shaft located in the churchyard to the south of St John's Church, Waberthwaite.....The shaft is decorated on all four sides. The east face is divided into four panels and depicts animal figures together with roll moulding and interlace carving. The west face depicts a single panel divided by a vertical moulding into two parallel strips of interlace carving. The north face depicts interlace carving while the south face also depicts interlace with the addition of a bird-like head towards the top of the shaft. This decoration combines Viking period interlace carving with the earlier Anglian artistic tradition of winged birds and animals. The cross shaft was found in 1825 during rebuilding of the church porch and subsequently reused as a lintel. It was moved to its present position between 1884-89 and set in what is thought to be its original socket...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1012711
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 184 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES