CHURCH OF ST PETER - Askham, Cumbria - List Entry

  • Description

    "Parish church. Dated over entrance 1832, by Sir Robert Smirke (who was also the architect of the nearby Lowther Castle), incorporating features from the medieval church on this site. Snecked calciferous sandstone ashlar with eaves cornice and raised quoins, on chamfered plinth. Graduated green slate roof with coped gables and cross finials. Square south-west tower, 4-bay nave/chancel with north transept and south aisle. Tower has round-arched studded south door, round-headed windows.....Transept was the burial chapel of the Sandford family of Askham Hall, hence C17 and C18 wall plaques to members of that family. Stem and bowl font dated 1661. C19 creed and pater boards...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1145271
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 284 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES